A lot has happened in the world of movies and video games. Here we will be doing a quick rundown of some exciting highlights of news that have come out in the last week.
- The idea about a potential Call of Duty movie has been around for a long time. The ultimate plan is to build this franchise into its own universe similar to the MCU. Now sources are telling Variety that Sicario 2 director Stefano Sollima is in talks to direct the first of the upcoming franchise based off of the popular video games. Nothing is finalized, but it could lead to something potentially good. Video game movies are known for being terrible, so maybe with the right director, things can be turned around for the genre.
- Alex Garland is best known for his directorial debut with Ex Machina and his upcoming film Annihilation. During an AMA on Reddit, he was asked by Reddit user deadpool902, “In the massive wave of comic book films, Dredd is still to me among the most well-written, so my question to you is: If given a chance, which comic book characters would you want to write/direct?” Alex’s response was simply, “Swamp Thing.” This does not mean a whole lot, but with Swamp Thing’s popularity growing within the comics and being in the Injustice fighting games, this could potentially happen with or without Alex. Either way, it is exciting news that would be an excellent possibility for DC.
- It is no secret that DC has been working on getting a Joker origin movie out there and to not have Jared Leto as the iconic villain. The film is currently going to be directed by Todd Phillips who is best known for his work on the Hangover trilogy. Now Joaquin Phoenix is in talks to play as the Joker. According to reports by Variety, he has accepted the role. Initial interest in the film started with the legendary Martin Scorcese being attached to produce and with Todd Phillips being the director and writer, a lot of people got curious as to where this will go. The future plans that DC has is a bit confusing since Jared Leto is set to return to his role as the Joker for Suicide Squad 2. Making these separate standalone movies can bring back credibility to DC after its numerous films that have been brutalized by fans and critics.
- Everywhere you turn, there is another game being remastered or remade entirely. With the success of Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy, a lot of people have been wondering if there will be a remaster of the Spyro games. Sources with Kotaku say that Activision is working on a remaster of the original Spyro the Dragon trilogy. Their sources say that there will be an official announcement in March and the remaster will come out sometime later this year for PS4 and PS4 Pro.
- Kingdom Hearts 3 got a massive update with a brand new trailer. The trailer shows that there will be a Monsters Inc. world and some new footage of gameplay. The game will feature three main sections to the game with about three worlds in each of those sections. After over a decade of waiting for the third entry, the release date will finally be announced in a few months at E3. To hold you over until then the trailer can be viewed below:
Thank you for reading this update on all sorts of exciting news out of the gaming and movie world. Since so much happens all the time, be sure to post a comment of what has happened lately that you have been interested in.
Image via Square Enix