- Since the post-credit scene from Spider-Man: Homecoming, fans have speculated that the villain for the next film would be Scorpion. Now it seems Mysterio will be the villain, and a high profile actor is in talks to play the supervillain. Jake Gyllenhaal is currently in talks to play as the iconic antagonist. Mysterio is a man named Quentin Beck, a special effects expert who uses who skills to commit crimes. The upcoming Spider-Man sequel is set to release on July 5, 2019.
- Resident Evil 7 is being ported to the Nintendo Switch. The catch is that the game is only going to be available in Japan. To make it weirder is that the game is a cloud version that players can rent. The version will come with the base game and the DLC with some added features for the Joy-Cons. Players will only be able to rent the game for 180 days for 2,000 yen. As of writing, it is unknown whether this version for the Switch will appear outside of Japan, so keep an eye out!
- After weeks of Avengers: Infinity War dominating the box office, Deadpool 2 comes in to have a phenomenal opening weekend. Deadpool 2 won the domestic box office with $125 million in its opening weekend. Worldwide the film earned $176 million to make for a total of $301 million for the foul-mouthed hero. While the first film earned more on its opening weekend with $132 million, Deadpool 2 still manages to have one of the biggest opening weekends for a rated R movie. This trend is happening more and more with rated R movies smashing the box office. Just last year IT dominated the box office domestically one the opening weekend with $123 million and ended up earning $700 million worldwide by the end of its run in theaters. We can expect to hear more news like this for rated R movies in the future especially when X-Force and It: Chapter 2 are released.
- The past few months have been full of rumors about the next PlayStation. Now we are getting some rough details on what the next generation of consoles will look like for Sony. CEO of Sony Interactive, Tsuyoshi “John” Kodera, says, “We will use the next three years to prepare the next step, to crouch down so that we can jump higher in the future.” While the PlayStation 4 has sold incredibly well with over 79 million units, this is the time we see consoles die down a bit. Usually, a console generation lasts about 5-7 years. The last generation was unusually long, but the standard timeline might be going back into place. Of course, the timeframe for console generations is not an exact science and Sony are making a ton of money off of the PlayStation 4. They had previously said that the console is in its last phase, but it appears the last phase will still extend for at least three years. So, there is no need to bury your PS4 yet to get ready for the next console. A focus will be on exclusives until the PS5 becomes a reality.
- Solo just released and Lucasfilm are already discussing the next spin-off movie for Star Wars. The legendary bounty hunter Boba Fett is getting his own movie. Hollywood Reporter has reported that James Mangold will be writing and directing the next film that will release sometime after Episode 9. James Mangold has earned his reputation for a variety of films, but most recently he directed Hugh Jackman’s last film as Wolverine, Logan. Not much is known about the project, but that has not stopped fans from speculating. Currently, people generally think the film will take place before A New Hope. When news comes out about casting or the story is unknown because there was a lack of marketing for Solo. If this approach will continue is unknown, but we can expect the movie to come out around 2020.
- A Las Vegas show for Life of Agony was canceled after a terrorist threat. The band was scheduled to play on May 19 at the Las Vegas’ Beauty Bar. Las Vegas Now reported that the show had to be canceled after a local high school teacher made some threats to go there to shoot and kill as many people as she could. On May 16, Leslie McGourty was arrested after some of her threatening texts were reported. Some of her texts said, “The timing couldn’t be any better and the irony of it all, it’s all perfect. A perfect plan with my favorite song surrounded by a bunch of fucked up misfits like I am. Imagine knowing exactly the moment that you’re going to die. I know exactly that your favorite song will be playing, by your favorite band. It’s just too perfect.” Her friend who was receiving the texts reported the messages right away to the police. The band is safe and concluded the rest of their tour on May 22. You can see any other future shows coming up here.
That is it for this week’s news roundup. A lot of people are not excited about a Boba Fett movie, so how do you feel about it? Were you one of the many people, myself included, who saw Deadpool 2 on its opening weekend? What do you think of Jake Gyllenhaal of potentially playing as Mysterio in the next Spider-Man movie? Comment below on any of the stories here that interested you.
Header image via PlayStation/Sony Interactive